Sunday, March 18, 2007

The first day at Amgen


The first morning I logged into my e-mail from home - after Laurence, the computer expert, got the internet going. I was deluged by mails. People wondering if I had arrived safely, a crisis brewing at Amgen, an e-mail from Richard saying 'Oh yes, if you get this fixed and released to test by the end of today that would be a good start to your work...'
So what would they be like? Would they give me a chance to settle in, or would it straight into the emergency without so much as a hello?
The first day, I start walking to Amgen. In fact, our place is within Amgen, as there are buildings beyond Arroyo Villas that belong to the company. I'd tried to ring Chrissy to say I was on my way, but there was no answer. So I don't exactly know where I'm going. People at Amgen think that they can give you a map that just shows the numbers of the buildings and you'll know where to go. Fortunately, I met someone on the way and he was able to tell me: the visitor centre is in building 34, off Hillcrest. I continue down the hill, with a view of the mountains in the distance and the sun hot on my back. Bit better than being splashed by a man in a white van outside London Bridge station, on my last day of work in the land of dampness...Finally, I arrive at the corner of Rancho Conejo Boulevard with Hillcrest Drive - the busiest corner in Thousand Oaks - and can see the visitor centre. Compared to the stress and the angst you can feel on the Upper Richmond Road near Putney station, this is still a holiday for me. I cross the road at the lights and walk over. I announce myself - they will insist on photo ID, 'after 9-11,' I bet - and wait for Chrissy. You know what it's like waiting for someone you've never met before. You stare at everyone who walks past and wonder if they're here to meet you, but then they walk on and you feel embarassed. Finally, Chrissy turns up and she knows it's me who's waiting for her. (Something like that happened again on Friday. I'm beginning to think they can spot the Brit a mile off.)
Pleasant start. Introductions, showing me round. No panic yet, I'm sure it will break soon. Meet the boss, 'Are you settling in?' Hmmm.... speaking too fast, bet he can see I'm nervous. Remember, first impression. Okay there's an issue. Phew, didn't expect me to already know about it. First touch of humanity, that's good. Get settled in, connect up the snazzy laptop, complete with fingerprint recognition. Phone the office in London, discuss the issue. Yep, they're all worried about it back there. Lunch with Chrissy. Bombarded with local information, where to eat, where to go. All these strange names in strange places that I'm desperately trying to memorise to be able to pass on to Laurence.
Back to work, trying to work out where everything is, the computers to connect to, on a laptop I've barely used. A VPN connection that keeps breaking, mails that don't come through, phoning the office in desperation. What time is it there, will everyone have gone home...?
More discussion with Chrissy about what the problem is. Word from Greg, the boss of my group at Amgen, the fix needs to be in by the end of the week. I'm left to get on with things. I don't have somebody in my office every 5 minutes, asking for an update. And the place is quiet. And actually, when London has gone home, the e-mails stop and that can be refreshing. I have to solve things by myself, but that's good. I can establish my autonomy and I like that. 4.30pm and the jet lag hits. I chat with Chrissy and she tells me to go home, 'You've had a long day.' Gratefully I find my way out of the building. I meet Laurence on the way, and my first day is done.
Stephen

No comments:

About Me

Fille du Midi et exilée volontaire au Royaume-Uni par amour et esprit d'aventure depuis 1993/97... Nîmes, Djedda, Avignon, Cambridge, Londres et Los Angeles!